This four week course provides an overview of wine business. Students will develop an appreciation of the realities of the wine business as a business and come to understand the steps required for getting from the vineyard and into the glass of the consumer.
Course Goals: The course will give the student an overview of the wine business. At the end of course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the viewpoints of the various stakeholders (e.g. grower, winemaker, sales/marketing, finance) in the areas of grape production, wine production, marketing, wine distribution, and wine sales.
- Understand the key decision points, interrelatedness, and costs that go into growing, producing, marketing, distributing, and selling a wine product.
- Understand how quality and value is determined at each step in the process of grape growing, production, marketing, distribution, domestic and export sales and final point of sale.
- Understand how going to market with wine compares and contrasts with other consumer packaged goods.
- Understand the financial resources and time periods necessary to establish a wine product.