This four week course provides an overview of wine business. Students will develop an appreciation of the realities of the wine business as a business and come to understand the steps required for getting from the vineyard and into the glass of the consumer.
The course will give the student an overview of the wine business. At the end of course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the viewpoints of the various stakeholders (e.g. grower, winemaker, sales/marketing, finance) in the areas of grape production, wine production, marketing, wine distribution, and wine sales.
- Understand the key decision points, interrelatedness, and costs that go into growing, producing, marketing, distributing, and selling a wine product.
- Understand how quality and value is determined at each step in the process of grape growing, production, marketing, distribution, domestic and export sales and final point of sale.
- Understand how going to market with wine compares and contrasts with other consumer packaged goods.
- Understand the financial resources and time periods necessary to establish a wine product.