This course presents the Skills, Tools, Processes, and Mindset for successfully and confidently managing projects, plus reviews the Project Management Institute (PMI.org) standard for project management processes and knowledge areas.
The course is for anyone in charge of project deliveries within their organization, as well as leaders of organizations seeking better delivery capabilities based on the benefits of project management principles and processes.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a Certificate in Project Management from Sonoma State University. The course also satisfies the educational requirements necessary to sit for the Project Management Professional (PMP®) examination, offered by the Project Management Institute (www.pmi.org).
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites for the Sonoma State University Project Management Certification Course. However some experience with MS Office Suite (MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint) and “Adobe .pdf,” is highly recommended.
With greater knowledge of the Project Management skill set, participants will gain a flexible yet practical set of project management tools and techniques customizable to the needs of their organization. A known project delivery process improves project team cohesion and project delivery efficiency.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Understand project management concepts and terminology, both Classic/Waterfall & Agile approaches;
• Identify the process groups and knowledge areas of PMI’s Project Management Body of Knowledge;
• Prepare a well defined Scope Statement;
• Develop a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Gantt chart for a given project scope;
• Establish a project schedule and budget baseline for project controlling;
• Estimate activity and total costs for the project;
• Predict project impacts from schedule and budget variances;
• Monitor and control project budget, quality and risk;
• Lead teams and communications more effectively;
• Select a project management software tool from the many commercially available options;
• Engage stakeholders more effectively;
• Understand the PMP certification process and preparation strategies for the PMP exam.
Course Format Weekly in-person lecture and discussion, assignments, reading assignments, quizzes and open book final exam-style assignment.
Required Course Materials (available from Amazon.com)
A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide) – Seventh Edition by the Project Management Institute (PMI). ISBN: 978-1-62825-664-2