Course Description: This eight-week course provides a pertinent overview of key aspects of a successful wine operation in today’s marketplace, while considering future prospects and opportunities. Students will learn from the same materials and resources current operating wineries consider daily, including; regulations, production options, distribution, sales and marketing techniques and successful business perspectives.
Prerequisites:This course is designed for students who are currently involved in wine business or have prior wine business experiences.
1. Understand business issues associated with viticulture, enology, production, marketing,distribution, and points of sale.
2. Evaluate alternative approaches associated with those issues.
3. Calculate costs across all of the component areas.
4. Evaluate the contribution of the component areas to the value of a wine product.
5. Expand on the understanding of distribution and regulatory issues to include theinternational wine market.
6. Assess the internal environment, identifying the opportunities and threats to a wine business.
7. Evaluate a SWOT analysis and drab a plan for going to market with a new wine business product.
8. Plan for and consider future wine markets and alternative channels of wine commerce.